Locked up in September: The criminals jailed in Greater Manchester last month

A speeding driver who killed a much-loved grandma and an ex-footballer who raped and sexually abused girls were just two of the criminals locked up in the region in September.

Greater Manchester courts gave out hefty prison sentences for all manner of crimes this month.

Other offenders put behind bars include a violent bully who launched a foul-mouthed rant at a judge after he was jailed and a pervert who used a secret ‘shoe camera’ to film ‘upskirt’ videos of schoolgirls.

READ MORE: Heartbroken family’s emotional tribute to ‘loving, kind and funny’ son stabbed to death

An open, transparent criminal justice system is an important part of how our democracy works – so we make no apologies for devoting so much time to letting you know what happens in our courts.

MEN reporters cover some of the most serious cases each week – and here is our round-up for the last month.

Here are some of the criminals locked up in Greater Manchester in September

Child sex predator jailed after police undercover operation

Philip Stanney

A 37-year-old child sex predator has been jailed for more than two years.

Philip Stanney was snared by an undercover police officer who logged onto an online chat room posing as a 14-year-old girl.

Stanney, who went by the username ‘philmanchester’, sent the child profile a private message immediately asking how old she was.

The officer responded to Stanney stating that she was 14 years old and a year 9 pupil.

Stanney, of Cypress Street, Middleton, never questioned the girl being underage and continued the conversation over several days with his messages becoming increasingly sexualised, asking the girl inappropriate questions about her appearance and how sexually experienced she was, commenting “you into older guys?”.

Stanney was jailed for a total of two years and three months.

Thug who breached suspended sentence terms by causing criminal damage to a watermelon

Brian Lawrence

A man has been jailed after breaching the terms of his suspended prison sentence – by causing criminal damage to a watermelon and berating Asda staff.

Brian Lawrence, 30, was handed a 14-month sentence, suspended for two years, in January last year after attacking and assaulting police officers.

He punched one cop, spat at another and called a PC a ‘P**i, Muslim c***’ after they were called to a ‘disturbance’ in Salford in March 2019.

Lawrence has now been jailed for breaching the terms of that suspended sentence, having committed criminal damage to a £4 watermelon at an Asda store; and for causing ‘intentional harassment, alarm or distress’ to staff.

The judge who dealt with Lawrence last time round found him in her court again.

Sending him down for 17 months, she told him she had given him a chance, but he blew it.

Lawrence, of Colina Drive in Salford, was sentenced to 17 months for causing intentional harassment, alarm or distress; and for breaching the terms of his suspended sentence.

He received no separate penalty for criminal damage to the watermelon.

Violent thug who nearly severed stranger’s nose in ‘frenzied attack’

Nathan Jackson

A lad launched a ‘frenzied’ drug and drink-fuelled attack on a stranger after intervening in a row at a New Years Eve party.

Nathan Jackson, then 19, had been invited to the gathering in Cheadle by a friend, but upon hearing shouting from outside, he ‘took it upon himself’ to get involved.

After getting into an argument with the victim, the man headbutted Jackson, Minshull Street Crown Court heard.

However, Jackson, of Stockport, responded by producing a Stanley knife from his pocket and slashing the man to his face, arms and body.

His victim’s nose was almost completely severed. He also had damage to an artery in his face and a broken bone in his hand.

Jackson, now 21, pleaded guilty to an offence of section 18 grievous bodily harm and was jailed for five years.

Gun nut found with firearms, ammo and orders for 25 more weapons at his house

Aaron Melville has been jailed

A man has been jailed after police raided his home and found guns, ammunition and orders for more weapons.

Officers from the Serious and Organised Crime Group of Greater Manchester Police raided Aaron Melville’s home in Buxton on December 1 last year.

Inside his home on Walker Brow cops found: several homemade weapons; a revolver which was examined and found to be a modified revolver; a dismantled handgun; a number of rounds of ammunition in the process of being converted from blank firing to illegal ammunition; and a number of tools.

Officers also found a delivery note that showed Melville had ordered three Retay blank firing pistol replicas on 11 September 2020.

The Turkish-made blank firing pistol can be legally sold in the UK but criminal gangs have worked out how to convert them into deadly weapons.

Detectives later discovered that Melville had ordered 25 firearms – two of which were found in the address by officers – and another one that had been found converted in January 2020 with his DNA on.

The 21-year-old was jailed for five years and seven months at Manchester Crown Court after he pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm and ammunition.

Paranoid drunk who strangled girlfriend after accusing her of ‘having it away’ with his brother

Thomas Kavangh

A paranoid drunk strangled his girlfriend during a terrifying attack after accusing her of ‘having it away’ with his brother.

Thomas Kavangh, 38, had been in a relationship with the woman for about seven weeks.

He had admitted to her that he could become paranoid, and revealed he had previously been in prison.

An argument developed between the pair after they had been to a friend’s house for a drink.

They went back to her flat in Salford and at one point Kavangh’s brother arrived.

Kavangh had left the property, and his brother told the woman that if he saw them together then the defendant would get ‘jealous and paranoid’.

He left, and when Kavangh returned he started to shout at her, calling her a ‘f****** whore’.

Kavangh grabbed her by the hair as she stood at the front door, forced her into the flat and held her by the throat.

He was jailed for 18 months for the attack.

Woman beater who strangled, punched and covered girlfriend in vodka

Stephen Wilson has been jailed for two years
Stephen Wilson has been jailed for two years

A thug has been jailed for two years after assaulting his girlfriend twice over a five-day period.

Stephen Wilson, 33, carried out the attacks in Bolton, in May of this year.

On May 6, while at a house they had both been staying at, Wilson jumped on the victim and started to strangle her.

While she was on the floor, he punched her and the victim believes she was knocked unconscious.

When she came around, she said she was covered in vodka and had blood in her hair.

Wilson continued to punch her and only stopped when a friend knocked on the door and asked if he wanted to go to the shops.

When he left, the woman escaped in her underwear and managed to get picked up by a passing police car.

Wilson, who has 21 convictions for 52 offences, eventually pleaded guilty to two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Wilson, of York Road, Lytham Saint Annes, was jailed for two years.

A restraining order was also imposed on Wilson forbidding him from contacting the victim or going within 200 metres of any home he believes her to be staying at.

Vile thugs who repeatedly stabbed brave man who tried to stop brutal attack

Cullen and Sharples approached a group of men sat on a bench in Victoria Square

A ‘courageous’ passer-by was repeatedly stabbed after trying to stop three men from being robbed in Bolton town centre, a court heard.

Patrick Cullen and accomplice Regan Sharples have now both been jailed for their roles in the vicious knife attack.

The pair – both 21 – approached the three men who were sat on a bench in Victoria Square just after 11pm on May 9.

Bolton Crown Court heard Cullen took out a knife, then repeatedly punched all three of the victims to the head and face – demanding they hand over their phones and money.

The passer-by was on his way home from work when he saw what was happening and intervened.

He tried to take the knife from Cullen, but the two 21-year-old defendants turned on him, the court heard.

Cullen, of no fixed abode, has been sentenced to nine years and nine months in prison, for four robbery offences, wounding with intent, attempted robbery, and possession of a knife in a public place. He admitted to all of the offences.

Sharples was sentenced to six years in prison for four robbery offences, unlawful wounding, attempted robbery, and possession of a knife in a public place. He also admitted the offences.

Ex-footballer who raped and sexually abused girls

Jonathan Diba-Musangu, 23, of Fernhurst St, Chadderton, has been jailed
Jonathan Diba-Musangu, 23, of Fernhurst St, Chadderton, has been jailed

An ex-Rochdale AFC footballer has been jailed for 24 years after being convicted of raping and sexually abusing a number of girls.

Jonathan Diba Musangu, 23, abused the girls, some who were as young as seven, over a five-year period.

Minshull Street Crown Court heard that he exploited his ‘popularity and advantage’ to commit ‘dreadful’ acts of sexual abuse against children for his own sexual gratification.

Following a lengthy trial in June and July this year, Musangu, of Chadderton, was found guilty of three counts of raping a child under 13, two counts of sexually assaulting a child under 13, two counts of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, three counts of sexual activity with a child, and two counts of rape.

He admitted offences of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity and possession of extreme pornography at an earlier hearing.

Musangu was jailed for 24 years with an extended licence period of four years.

‘Controlling’ predator who blackmailed teenage girls into sending explicit images

Harry Bowman

A ‘controlling’ predator, who blackmailed teenage girls into sending explicit images of themselves, has been jailed for 14 years.

Harry Bowman, of Whitlow Avenue, Golborne, was aged between 14 and 18 when he carried out the offences on seven victims.

Bowman, now 20, also physically abused a number of the girls when they were below the age of consent.

He pleaded guilty to:

The court heard that Bowman would entice girls into sending indecent images of themselves and then use the images to blackmail them into sending more.

When Bowman’s phone was seized, police found more than 1,200 indecent images, of girls believed to be as young as two or three-years-old. 364 of the images fell into the most serious category.

He was sentenced to 14 years imprisonment.

Man who told Aldi security that he ‘wanted to go to prison’ before pulling out knife

Lee Wright was asked to put the blade down after he left the store on Market Street

A homeless man told an Aldi security guard he wanted to go to prison before pulling a knife on him and walking around the store.

Lee Wright, 38, wandered into the city centre store, where he approached the guard and made the worrying claim.

The security officer suggested that he should go to the police, but Wright walked past him into the store before pulling out the five-inch blade.

In CCTV footage played to Manchester Crown Court, a woman can be seen pushing a pram past him as he held the knife.

Wright was said to have 18 previous convictions for 72 offences.

The court heard that he has benefited from being in custody, both physically and mentally.

Wright, of Princess Avenue, Tyldesley, was jailed for 22 months.

Man who attacked two workmen with a broken bottle before returning with machete

Reece Gilbert

A man attacked two workmen with a broken bottle as they carried out work on a house – and then came back with a machete.

Reece Gilbert, 28, was spotted acting ‘strangely’, inhaling gas and laughing uncontrollably by the two men carrying out work on a house opposite.

They thought he initially appeared ‘comical’ but his behaviour took a turn when he told them to ‘get in the f***ing house’ whilst armed with a broken bottle.

The men fled to their van for safety as Gilbert went back into his house, Manchester Crown Court heard.

Moments later he emerged wearing a hoodie and pulled a ‘machete-style’ knife from his pocket and brandished it towards the men.

Gilbert, who was said to have an ‘appalling criminal record’, pleaded guilty to affray and possession of a bladed article.

He was jailed for 18 months.

‘Main player’ in drugs gang

Jailed: Shaheed Virmani

A ‘top-ranking’ cocaine and cannabis dealer from Salford has been locked up.

‘Main player’ Shaheed Virmani, from Swinton, supplied ‘large amounts’ to the gang’s Spain-based leader, Usman Akhter, and also received drugs back from him.

Akhter – who lived a life of luxury in a Marbella villa called ‘Los Flamingos’ – ‘controlled a sophisticated network bringing hundreds of kilos of cocaine and cannabis into the region’, police said.

They said properties used by the gang in the UK were ‘unobtrusive’ – but Akhter’s villa in Marbella ‘showed the more lavish trappings of the conspiracy’.

Twelve people – including Akhter and Virmani – have now been jailed for a combined total of more than 60 years.

A further eight will also be sentenced at Preston Crown Court in October.

Virmani, 28, of Warren Drive, Swinton, Salford, was jailed for 11 years for conspiracy to supply cocaine and cannabis.

Akhter – from Darwen – got 13 years.

Dealer caught with twelve wraps of cocaine hidden between his buttocks

Aaron Plummer

A dealer was caught with drugs hidden in his backside after being pulled over by the police.

Aaron Plummer, 33, was caught peddling cocaine in the city centre in his Audi in August this year.

After being pulled over, he was spotted putting his hand into his underpants, Manchester Crown Court heard.

Following a strip search, officers found 12 wraps of cocaine concealed between his buttocks.

He was also found with £330 in cash and an iPhone with evidence of drug dealing.

Plummer pleaded guilty to possession with intent to supply class A drugs and was jailed for 28 months.

Speeding drug driver who killed grandma when he attempted a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre

Muhammad Ahmed

A ‘much-loved’ grandma was killed by a speeding drug driver who attempted a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre because he was ‘impatient’, a court heard.

Muhammad Ahmed, 25, admitted causing the death of 73-year-old Sonia Adams by dangerous driving.

The court heard Mrs Adams was returning home from the supermarket at around 1.40pm on 26 February last year when the horrific crash occurred.

Ahmed, of Edna Street, Hyde, was driving a powerful BMW 325 sport model with a ‘power booster’ modification, the court heard.

Police investigators were able to establish that shortly before the crash, at the junction of Hyde Road and Pennine Road, Ahmed was driving at 40mph in a 30mph zone, the court heard.

As Ahmed approached a set of traffic lights, he pulled out onto the wrong side of the road in an attempt to overtake slower-moving vehicles, the court heard.

By this point, Ahmed was travelling at around 68mph, the court heard.

Judge Baxter sentenced Ahmed to 32 months in custody and disqualified him from driving for five years.

Burglar who caught taxi after house raid then ‘pulled’ knife on driver in fare row

Jailed: Jamie McCullough

A burglar caught a hackney cab as a getaway after he raided a house – then ‘pulled out’ a knife during a row with the driver over the fare and was arrested.

Jamie McCullough, who was chased and caught by police officers after the driver flagged down a passing patrol car, is now starting a four-year prison sentence.

McCullough, 34, of Thornlea Road, Altrincham, pleaded guilty to burglary, causing damage to property, possession of a bladed article, making off without payment and a public order offence, police said.

Greater Manchester Police said McCullough became ’embroiled in an argument with the driver’ over the cost of the fare during his getaway.

He became ‘aggressive’, the force said, then ‘pulled out’ a knife he had stolen during the earlier burglary, before kicking and smashing the rear window of the carriage in an attempt to escape.

Violent bully who launched X-rated rant at judge after he was sent down for battering ex

Sohail Ahmed has been jailed

A violent bully launched a foul-mouthed rant at a judge after he was jailed for battering an ex-partner.

Sohail Ahmed shouted ‘f*** off’ repeatedly and ’30 f****** months for what?’ as he was sent down.

The 26-year-old, who was appearing at Minshull Street Crown Court via video link from Forest Bank prison, was also heard to shout the word ‘s***’.

Ahmed is now facing a contempt of court charge for what Judge Tina Landale described as the ‘misogynistic abuse levelled at this court’.

Earlier the court heard how Ahmed, of no fixed abode, but formerly of Ashton Street, Rochdale, had turned up at his ex-partner’s house in Bury on the day he was released from prison after serving a six week sentence for breaching a domestic violence order.

Drunk and holding a carrier bag with a bottle of vodka in it, Ahmed was said to be ‘fluctuating between ranting and raving and being affectionate’.

But Neil Fryman, prosecuting, said sometime later Ahmed hit the victim with his fist and the palm of his hand.

Ahmed, who has 23 previous convictions and has previously served ‘significant sentences’ for actual bodily harm and conspiracy to supply heroin, was jailed for 30 months and given a restraining order after pleading guilty to grievous bodily harm at an earlier hearing.

Pervert who used secret ‘shoe camera’ to film ‘upskirt’ videos of schoolgirls

Paul Mountain has been jailed

A pervert who used a secret ‘shoe camera’ to film ‘upskirt’ videos of schoolgirls has been jailed.

Paul Mountain, 46, also hid a camera in a bathroom to record footage of a woman on the toilet, a court heard.

Mountain, of Trentham Avenue, Farnworth, Bolton, has now been jailed.

He pleaded guilty to voyeurism and making indecent images of children.

A judge jailed him for 13 and a half months for making indecent images, and four and a half months for voyeurism.

Trio who kidnapped man and robbed him of £17,500 Rolex at knifepoint

Kyle Fox, McCauley Doran and Liam Mattinson

Three men who bundled a man into a car and robbed him at knifepoint of £25,000 worth of belongings including his £17,500 Rolex have been jailed for four years.

Minshull Street Crown Court heard how the man had recently befriended Kyle Fox, 30, at a cash machine and the pair had met up socially on a number of occasions.

On April 11, 2021, the complainant invited Fox to his home in Whitefield, where Fox intended to purchase an amount of cannabis and the two made their way there after meeting at Whitefield tram stop.

The court heard how the complainant then received a text message from Fox, saying he had left the address as he felt paranoid with other people being there and asking the complainant to meet him outside.

The complainant set off to meet him as instructed but then an Audi car pulled up alongside him and he was bundled into the vehicle by McCauley Doran, 24.

The court heard how Doran, of Batty Street, Manchester was wielding a metal bar and, once in the car, Fox, who was wearing gloves with plastic knuckles, pulled out a large knife before punching the complainant in the face.

Fox, Doran and Liam Mattinson, 25, of Tennyson Avenue, Bury then robbed the man of his Rolex watch, worth £17,500, his wallet and £7,000 of jewellery.

All three pleaded guilty to kidnap and robbery and were handed four years in custody.

Paedophile who paid 12-year-old girl £50 to perform sexual act on him

Shaw Dennis has been jailed for eight years
Shaw Dennis has been jailed for eight years

A man has been jailed for eight years after being found guilty of raping a child.

Shaw Dennis, 40, met the 12-year-old girl when she asked him for a cigarette in December 2019.

They swapped phone numbers and started to exchange text messages, prosecution barrister Rachel Faux told Bolton Crown Court.

The girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, asked Dennis, from Farnworth, how much money he would pay her if she performed a sexual act on him.

After agreeing a price of £50 to spend an hour with her, Dennis told the victim that he wanted to ‘f*** her brains out’. It was shortly after this that she told him that she was still in high school.

Dennis responded: “Oh s***, I’m sorry”.

The court heard that he then told the girl: “You don’t look 12 but no one’s going to find out so it’s alright.”

The girl’s mother discovered the messages between Dennis and her daughter when she checked her phone in January 2020.

Dangerous driver who killed a mother as she crossed the road

Moneeb Arshad
Moneeb Arshad was sentenced to 32 months in jail for death by dangerous driving

A dangerous driver was jailed for 32 months for killing a mother as she crossed the road.

Halema Akhtar, 44, was described as the family’s ‘rock.’

Moneeb Arshad, 28, was driving an Audi on Yorkshire Street in Rochdale on Sunday, October 20, 2019.

Minshull Street Crown Court heard that witnesses on the road were concerned Arshad’s speed was excessive.

Mrs Akhtar was crossing Yorkshire Street when she was hit at a pedestrian crossing.

She did not wait for the lights to change before stepping out.

The defendant had continued to drive, the court heard.

The collision was ‘avoidable’ had the defendant not driven at such an excessive speed.

Arshad, of Stanford Street in Rochdale, pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving a week before a trial was due to begin.

Coked-up ‘coward’ who followed woman into ladies toilets and sexually assaulted her

Manuel Carvajal leaving Manchester Crown Court during his trial

A coked-up ‘coward’ followed a woman into a pub’s ladies toilets and sexually assaulted her.

Manuel Carvajal, 25, was seen on the pub’s CCTV following the woman after she went to use the toilet.

As she came out of the cubicle she was grabbed by Carvajal and bent over the toilet.

To stop her screaming for help, he put her in a headlock, shoved his fingers in her eyes and he shoved his fist into her mouth, Manchester Crown Court heard.

He then forced her head down to his groin area and attempted to unzip his trousers in a bid to orally rape her, prosecutors said.

Fortunately she was able to retrieve her phone and open it using facial recognition in order to call her brother who had been sitting with her in the pub.

Carvajal, of Wytheshawe, was convicted following a trial of sexual assault and was jailed for six years with an extended licence period of three years.

Joy rider ‘impressing his friends’ who killed taxi driver in head on smash

Ryan Hughes
Ryan Hughes was jailed for 12 years

A joy rider was jailed for twelve years after his dangerous driving killed a taxi driver and seriously injured both his passengers.

Ryan Hughes, 30, was on a ‘joy ride’ in a Ford Focus on November, 1, 2019 around Oldham with two friends as passengers.

Minshull Street Crown Court heard that he was trying to ‘impress his friends’ but was driving at excessive speed, without a licence or insurance.

At 9.45pm he was driving on the B61 in Oldham at twice the speed limit – in excess of 80mph.

A local taxi driver, Adinur Roshid, was picking up his two passengers from the Blue Tiffin Restaurant on Laurel Trading Estate.

As the taxi pulled out to turn right onto Higginshaw Lane it was hit head on by Mr Hughes at speed.

The taxi driver later died from a traumatic brain injury.

The two passengers, Helen Parfitt and Angela Collier, suffered injuries including broken ribs, a broken pelvis and dislocated spine.

Hughes, of Rowland Way in Oldham, was convicted of death by driving unlicensed and uninsured, causing death by dangerous driving and causing serious injury by dangerous driving and sentenced to 12 years in jail.

He was disqualified from driving for 16 years and must sit an extended driving retest.

Drug dealer who hospitalised customer that owed him cash before boasting to his pals

Vincent Gilligan was jailed for five years and three months

A drug dealer hospitalised a long-standing customer who owed him money – before boasting to his pals.

Vincent Gilligan, 33, had been selling to the man for years.

The victim has tried to take his own life in recent months. He said he was ‘terrified and thought he was going to die’.

A judge said Gilligan ruined the man’s life. Now he’s been jailed.

Gilligan, of Broadley Avenue, was jailed for five years and three months, and made the subject of an indefinite restraining order after pleading guilty to section 18 causing grievous bodily harm.

Man who stabbed pal in the neck at a wake

Covi Henry
Covi Henry

A man stabbed an old pal during a bust-up at a wake – before cops found a revolver and cocaine in his bag when they searched his girlfriend’s house.

Covi Henry, 37, knifed his friend during the attack on May 29, 2020, and left him bleeding heavily from a serious neck wound.

An artery was severed, Minshull Street Crown Court heard.

He had to undergo surgery at Manchester Royal Infirmary.

Henry, of Furness Avenue in Oldham, was convicted of wounding with intent; possessing a prohibited firearm; possessing ammunition without a firearm certificate; possessing ammunition while prohibited; and possessing a firearm when prohibited.

He was jailed for 12 years.

Robbers who carjacked mum at knifepoint as she protected her son

Brandon Smith, Tyrese Chisholm and Kaydn Jones.

A mum screamed out in terror as she desperately tried to protect her child as knife-wielding robbers stole her car in a Snapchat set-up.

Courtney Slater’s chilling screams rang out as she was dragged out of her car and a knife was held to her neck by Tyrese Chisholm.

The 21-year-old was able to escape with her two-year-old son Lekai, who was sat in the back, before Chisholm and two other robbers sped away in her Renault Clio.

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Ms Slater and her partner Brandon Higgins were attacked in Gorton, after he had arranged to sell two pairs of Louis Vuitton sunglasses and a Louis Vuitton manbag on Snapchat.

They had been lured to the scene as part of a pre-planned robbery.

Chisholm, 18, Brandon Smith, 21, and Kaydn Jones, 19, have now all been locked up.

Chisholm, then 17 and now 18, the ringleader of the gang, was sentenced to four years in a young offender’s institution.

Jones, who also brandished a knife, was sentenced to three years and eight months. While Smith, who was not armed, was jailed for three years and four months.

The trio will serve half of their sentence in custody before being released.

‘Desperate’ illegal immigrant who said he’d be killed if he didn’t work at cannabis farm

Oretsis Cobo

A ‘desperate’ illegal immigrant was told he’d be killed unless he worked as a ‘gardener’ at a cannabis farm in Longsight.

Oretsis Cobo, 29, had been living in the farm, which had been set up in a terraced house, for about six weeks before police discovered it.

Cobo later told officers he’d been taken to the house on Eston Street in a van after being sent a ‘threatening letter’.

Police were originally called to the house after reports of disorder. They found Cobo lying on the floor, and having a ‘medical episode’, on February 19.

After being arrested, Albanian national Cobo told police he’d not been paid for his work, other than being brought food and money for a phone top up, and being allowed to live there rent free.

Cobo said he’d been threatened by an individual who had told him to stay at the house, otherwise he’d be killed.

Cobo was jailed for 15 months, after admitting producing cannabis. He faces deportation after serving his sentence.

Gang member who lured taxi driver to town before robbing him in brutal attack

Nathan Scott has been jailed after a taxi driver was assaulted and robbed in Rossendale

A Manchester man has been jailed for four and half years after a taxi driver was lured to Whitworth, Rossendale, before being robbed.

At around 11.30pm on March 2018, the taxi driver – a man in his 40s – arrived to collect a fare on Lloyd Street.

After parking up, he was attacked by four people, including 23-year-old defendant Nathan Scott, who kicked and punched him to the face and body.

The gang attempted to steal the taxi but eventually ran from the scene with the taxi driver’s PDA (personal digital assistant) and mobile phone, which contained photographs of the victim’s family.

Following a trial at Burnley Crown Court, Scott of Mosley Street, Manchester, was found guilty of conspiracy to commit robbery.

Man who throttled girlfriend after she said she wanted to break up

Demornia Cantrill

A man throttled his girlfriend – who thought she was going to die – after she told him she wanted to break up.

Days later, after being bailed following his arrest, Demornia Cantrill told her ‘snitches get stitches’ as she frantically dialled 999 when he turned up at her home unannounced.

Cantrill paced about the property before ‘grabbing her by the throat and strangling her with one hand’.

He eventually let go, giving the woman time to call the police.

After being arrested, he told cops it was ‘a joke’.

Sentencing, Judge John Edwards told Cantrill: “Domestic abuse, as you said in your interview, is far from a joke, and throttling somebody, as you did, to exert ultimate control over them is a highly dangerous form of violence.

“By behaving as you did, you demeaned her and unbeknown to you, you demeaned yourself.”

Cantrill, of no fixed address, was jailed for 20 months.

Devious daughter who nicked £20k off frail dad to play slot machines jailed

Yasmine Tattersall outside court

A ‘shameless and devious’ daughter with a gambling addiction nicked approximately £20,000 from her elderly father’s estate – and blew it on slot machines.

Yasmin Tattersall, 57, was caring for her now deceased 81-year-old father over a three-year period.

She was in charge of his debit cards.

Meetings were held between the family and the company the carers worked for after they weren’t paid.

Despite coming to an agreement that Tattersall would sort the cash out, they were never paid. Instead, she’d emptied her dad’s account of his life savings.

Tattersall, of Partington Street, Rochdale, admitted theft and has now been jailed for six months.

Dealer jailed after hiding crack cocaine and heroin in his pants

Tai Saide, 23, was arrested after police executed a warrant at an address in Buxton

A drug dealer who had spent time living homeless in Piccadilly Gardens was arrested in Derbyshire after hiding wraps of heroin and crack in his underwear.

Tai Saide, 23, now of Cateaton Street, Bury, was arrested after police executed a warrant at an address in Fairfield Road, Buxton, on January 28, 2019.

He told officers he had been placed in the property by a gang from Manchester in order to sell the Class A substances to pay off a £2,000 debt.

The defendant then went on the run for two years before he was caught committing a theft in Manchester and the matter came back to light.

The father-of-one pleaded guilty to possession with intent to supply both class A drugs.

Jailing him for two years and four months, Recorder Nicholas Bacon QC said: “In essence, this is a classic county lines case, with you as someone at the bottom end of the organisation doing the dirty work of those further up the chain distributing drugs to users.

“Class A drugs are the bane of our society and cause enormous harm to the individuals and society as a whole.”

The gang which flooded north west with cocaine and amphetamine

Members of a drugs gang that flooded the north west with cocaine and amphetamine have been locked up.

The Salford and Wigan-based organised crime group, led by Michael Doyle, 35, peddled drugs around Manchester, Yorkshire and Cheshire, with police seizing more than £450,000 worth of the class A and B drugs.

Ten drug dealers have now been jailed.

Manchester Crown Court heard that Michael Ellis, 48, Lee Jones, 46, and Glenn Muddiman, 39, stored the cocaine and amphetamine, mixed it with adulterants and re-pressed it using hydraulic presses.

Ellis, of Rock Bank, Salford, was said to have become addicted to drugs and accumulated debts, and saw the enterprise as an ‘easy way’ to pay off those debts.

He admitted conspiracy to supply cocaine and was jailed for seven years.

Jones, of Long Lane, Wigan; admitted conspiracy to supply cocaine and amphetamine and was jailed for eight years and ten months.

Muddiman, of Crossfield Drive, Wigan; pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply cocaine and conspiracy to supply amphetamine and was jailed for seven years and seven months.

Michael Mason, 28, was said to have a ‘trusted role’ and collected payments on behalf of Doyle – during one evening he collected £11,435.

Mason, of Kersal Way, Salford, who said he’d had a ‘spiritual awakening’ whilst in custody, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply cocaine, conspiracy to supply amphetamine and money laundering, and was jailed for five years and ten months.

Leo Doyle, 27, Michael Doyle’s cousin, arranged packages on two occasions on behalf of his relative.

Daniel Partington, 33, Darryl Jennings, 34, and Andrew Norris, 51, acted as couriers.

Jennings, of Churchill Way, Salford; admitted conspiracy to supply cocaine and was jailed for five years and ten months.

Partington, of Captain Fold Road, Salford, admitted conspiracy to supply cocaine and was jailed for five years and six months.

Leo Doyle, of Milan Street, Salford, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply amphetamine and was jailed for three years and five months.

Andrew Norris was also involved in a separate drugs conspiracy with his son Dominic and his 46-year-old partner Helen Atkinson.

Andrew Norris, of Shelley Close, Chorley, pleaded guilty to two counts of conspiracy to supply cocaine, conspiracy to supply cannabis, possession with intent to supply cannabis and possessing a shotgun without a certificate.

He was jailed for seven years and nine months.

Atkinson, of Shelley Close, Chorley, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply cocaine and conspiracy to supply cannabis.

She was jailed for two years and ten months.

Dominic Norris, 22, of Shelley Close, Chorley, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply cocaine.

He was jailed for three years.

Michael Doyle, of HMP Forest Bank; will be sentenced at a later date.

Man who turned violent on pensioner who had helped him out with money

Christopher Hurn

A man barged his way into an old people’s home twice looking for money for drugs – before leaving one man with a broken femur and threatening another with a needle.

Christopher Hurn, 28, was first spotted on April 1 sleeping in the garden outside the home in Droylsden, Tameside.

The 80-year-old man, who had established a friendship with Hurn and given him money in the past, went to check what he was doing and Hurn asked him to use the toilet, Minshull Street Crown Court heard.

After going inside, Hurn said “have you got any money?” and the man said no, at which point Hurn pulled out a hypodermic needle and threatened him with it.

The man gave him £20 from his wallet but Hurn could see there was more and said: “If you don’t give me the money I’ll stick this in you.”

A few days later Hurn was spotted again outside the home on Trenchard Court.

The defendant opened the door and pushed past a 62-year-old man who was left with a broken femur and was in hospital for a number of weeks.

He then made his way to the 80-year-old man’s bedroom – where he threatened him again with the needle.

The elderly man managed to run away from Hurn before seeing him leave with his set of keys and his wallet, which contained £100 in cash.

Hurn, of no fixed abode, was jailed for eight-and-a-half years, of which he must serve two thirds in prison, with an extended licence period of four-and-a-half years.

Thug who launched despicable attack on taxi driver

David Meehan attacked a taxi driver
David Meehan attacked a taxi driver

A criminal who looks after his elderly mother asked a judge ‘are you going to look after my mum?’ as he was jailed for attacking a taxi driver.

David Meehan, 39, screamed from the dock as he was locked up for his role in the attack on June 14, 2019.

Bolton Crown Court heard that in the early hours of the morning, following a wake, Meehan and his friend Anthony Greenall, 39, rang Bluestar Taxis to pick them up from an address in Deanery Court, Wigan.

The victim had been warned about the men by a colleague, who had picked them up earlier in the night after they had been kicked out of a bar.

Upon arriving at Deanery Court at around 4.30am, the driver could smell alcohol on both men and they were ‘immediately rude’, prosecution barrister Adam Watkins said.

Meehan, of Springfield Road, Wigan, said ‘take us home, you black taxi driver’ and the victim asked for £3.50 up front, wary that the men would leave without paying.

The driver told the men to behave or he would not take them anywhere, before Meehan started throwing punches to his face and body, Mr Watkins told the court.

The victim managed to get out of the car but the men gave chase with Greenall ripping a windscreen wiper off a nearby car and hitting the victim with it.

Meehan was jailed for 20 months, while Greenall was handed a 19-month sentence suspended for two years.

Ruthless, depraved gangsters who shot rival in the street

Abdul Malik Said, Sabir Abdulkadir and Ismail Abdullahi

Three men have been jailed following a shooting of a rival drug dealer in Bolton.

In November last year, Jon Robinson was waiting to meet Ismail Abdullahi, 22, Sabir Abdulkadir, 21, and Abdul Malik Said, 21, on a road in Halliwell.

He was armed with a hammer and a knife, Minshull Street Crown Court heard.

And, as the three men turned up in a blue BMW, bought three days earlier, a violent fracas erupted.

Abdullkadir left the car with a sawed-off double-barrelled shotgun, which was less than 60 centimetres in length and hidden in a plastic bag, and aimed it at Robinson.

The flash of the gun being fired was caught on CCTV.

After the near-miss, Robinson started smashing up the BMW using the hammer, before one of the three men shouted: “Blast him, f****ing blast him”.

The shotgun was fired again and Robinson was left with multiple metal pellets stuck in his back and arm.

The three men have now been jailed for a total of 26 years.

Robinson was jailed for two years for his part in the violence.

Dad who was forced to become Manchester gang’s ‘servant’ to protect his daughter

Jason Paul was forced to sell crack cocaine by the ‘dangerous’ Manchester gang

A drug addict was forced to become a Manchester gang’s ‘servant’ after they threatened his daughter, a court heard.

Jason Paul owed a ‘severe debt’ to the ‘dangerous, violent and intimidating’ gang and was forced to sell crack cocaine in Hull to pay it off.

The 51-year-old and his daughter were threatened with ‘severe violence’ if he didn’t peddle the drugs.

Police found £2,000 in cash at a house where he was based, but all the profits from the drug selling went to the Manchester gang, a court heard.

Paul, of Peel Street in Hull, admitted possessing 25 wraps of crack cocaine with intent to supply and possessing cash as criminal property on May 27 last year.

He was jailed for two years and nine months.

Man whose dog left woman’s lip hanging off when it attacked her

A man has been jailed after his dog attacked a young woman on Christmas day, leaving her lip ‘hanging off’.

Daniel Herbert, 30, kept his dog in the bathroom during a family gathering.

The woman went upstairs and opened the door, before feeling a ‘sudden impact’ and being knocked backwards.

She later realised she had been bitten by the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The woman was left with serious injuries to her lip and eye.

After the police attended his house in Cheadle, Stockport, Herbert claimed he didn’t know where the animal was, but later said he had been destroyed.

He pleaded guilty to being an owner in charge of a dangerous dog; and obstructing a police constable.

Herbert, of Councillor Lane, was jailed for 24 weeks and banned from owning a dog for 10 years.

Stalker who threatened to ‘rape woman in the street’

Ahmad Qhobadpour

A stalker threatened to rape a woman in the street, said he’d ‘destroy her reputation’ and bombarded her with calls after she rejected his romantic advances.

Ahmad Qhobadpour, 35, then started stalking her friend to try and get to the woman.

Qhobadpour, from Rusholme, had never been in a relationship with either of the two victims, but had met them at the shisha bar where he worked.

After the first victim split from her boyfriend, an increasingly terrifying campaign of harassment continued for months.

She feared what he might do, and even left her family home.

Qhobadpour turned up at one her relative’s houses, let down the tyres to her car and started banging on her vehicle when she tried to get away.

The second victim, the woman’s friend, started to lose her hair, which she attributed to the stress of Qhobadpour’s stalking.

He was jailed for two years.

Bullying thug who spat at ex-girlfriend then ‘rubbed it into her face’

Leon Hollinrake

A bullying and abusive thug attacked his girlfriend twice in the space of a month – dragging her by the hair, hitting her and spitting in her face.

Leon Hollinrake, 25, had formed a relationship with the woman just two months before after they met at work.

However, things quickly turned sour as he became angry for ‘no apparent reason’ one morning whilst they were at his parents house, Minshull Street Crown Court heard.

He attacked her, dragging her by the hair to the stairs before she lost her footing and fell.

Despite forgiving him, Hollinrake, of Rochdale, attacked her again weeks later, spitting in her face and ‘rubbing it in’ with his hand.

The woman has since left the country.

Hollinrake pleaded guilty to offences of assault and assault occasioning actual bodily harm and was jailed for 19 months.

Rapist who says he “hates” his child victim

A Manchester man who raped a teenager 12 times has “not a shred of remorse” for what he had done, a judge said.

Rapist Peter Edwards said he ‘hates’ his child victim for ‘taking everything away from him’.

The 40-year-old, of Kenworthy Lane, Wythenshawe, made “deeply troubling” comments in a report where he said “she’ll get what she deserves” and “what goes around comes around”.

His face cannot be shown to readers because Cheshire Police refused to release his mugshot , despite official guidelines stating that it should be provided to the media.

Edwards was found guilty of raping the teenager over two years in Warrington by a jury on July 12 this year.

He told his victim that she was “helping him”.

The court heard how Edwards would continue to rape the child even after she asked him to stop the behaviour.

Edwards, who has no previous convictions, was jailed for 18 years and ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register for life.

Man involved in knifepoint robbery of 12-year-old child

Zabed Miah

A man has been jailed for his part in a knifepoint robbery of a 12-year-old child.

Zabed Miah, 19, and two others approached the boy as he was sat talking to his friends in a park in Stalybridge.

Minshull Street Crown Court heard that the boy’s friends were told to ‘f*** off’ before they grabbed him by the neck and demanded he hand over his mobile phone.

As he tried to run away, one of the group produced a knife and demanded the phone again, which he duly handed over.

The trio then fled, but were chased by onlookers who took pictures of them and the police were called.

Officers later found Miah in a house nearby – he had changed his clothes, but, following a search, the discarded clothes and knife were recovered.

He pleaded guilty to offences of robbery and possession of a knife.

Miah, of no fixed abode, was jailed for two years and six months.

Thugs who brutally tortured two men

Three thugs have been jailed for their roles in the brutal torture of two men after drugs grown at a cannabis farm in Greater Manchester vanished.

Shawn O’Malley, 33, David Scurfield, 33, and Billy McColl, 20, each played a role in the torture of the victims – who were bound, beaten and told they would be shot.

After being attacked with a pick axe, a claw hammer and held at gunpoint, the men believed they were going to die.

During their ordeal, they were threatened with acid and a power drill – and told their loved ones would be shot, reports the Liverpool Echo.

The ordeal suffered by the victims was prompted by the discovery that cannabis they had helped to cultivate at a farm in Ashton-in-Makerfield, in Wigan – and which had been bagged and left at a secluded site in St Helens – had been stolen.

Scurfield, of Sherwood Crescent in Warrington, was sentenced to nine years, of which he will serve at least two-thirds.

McColl, of Henshall Avenue in Warrington, was handed 10 years detention, of which he will serve at least two thirds.

O’Malley was classed as a ‘dangerous’ offender and was jailed for 18 years, with an extended five years on licence.

This means he must serve at least two thirds of his sentence – 12 years -behind bars, before he can apply to the Parole Board.

Drug dealing school friends caught asleep in car by police

Jonathan Hopkinson and William Thompson

Two school friends were caught sleeping in their car when the police came knocking – before being caught dealing cocaine.

Jonathan Hopkinson and William Thompson, both 28, claimed to officers that they had driven back from Scotland the night before and couldn’t find a place to stay so decided to sleep in a hired grey Mercedes.

Thompson, of Heywood, also stated he was the owner of a Vauxhall Vectra parked nearby, Manchester Crown Court heard.

However, after officers continued their patrols around Eccles, they saw Hopkinson, of Middleton, nearby speaking to a woman – as well as the Vectra parked on a different street.

Following a search of both cars and the two men, officers found 13.6 grams of cocaine, digital scales, multiple phones and drugs debtors lists as well as a meat cleaver hidden in a carrier bag.

Both Hopkinson and Thompson pleaded guilty to possession with intent to supply class A drugs and were both jailed.

Hopkinson, of Hollin Lane, was jailed for 28 months; and Thompson, of Gregge Street, was jailed for 32 months.

Obsessed and controlling boyfriend who held a knife to young mum’s throat

Jayden Knight, jailed for three years and nine months

A terrified young mum jumped eight feet from the first floor of her Hattersley home to escape her obsessed and controlling boyfriend, who had held a knife to her throat and threatened to kill her.

The story of 28-year-old Amy Bradbury’s ordeal was told as serial domestic abuser Jayden Knight, also 28, was sentenced to three years and nine months for his crimes.

Minshull Street Manchester Crown Court sitting at Stockport magistrates’ court heard how Middleton man Knight had subjected at least four other girlfriends to the same abuse.

Knight had already grabbed her by the throat making her gasp for air before throwing her onto the stairs, banging her head, after flying into a drink and cocaine-fuelled jealous rage.

In a brave victim statement read out in court mother-of-two Amy said: “He has not broken me, he has made me stronger. I will not allow him to make any other women feel the way he made me feel. I’ve lived through the worst and I’ve had so many bad experiences, but I can put them all behind me now. “

Recorder Jones imposed a seven-year restraining order on Knight preventing him from going any where near Amy as well as sentencing him to a total of 45 months behind bars.

Drug dealing brothers who used frightened Romanian family’s home to stash cocaine

Arfan and Shamas Iqbal

A drug dealer who used a frightened Romanian family’s home to hide cocaine they would later sell on the streets has been jailed along with his brother who later joined the ‘enterprise’.

Arfan and Shamas Iqbal, aged 31 and 27 respectively, who lived at the same address at Park Road, Rochdale, were found in possession of nearly £13,000 worth of drugs when police were tipped off about their operation.

They were sentenced at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court, sitting at Stockport magistrates’ court.

Arfan was locked up for five years and Shamas was given three years and four months.

Arfan Iqbal had pleaded guilty to being concerned with the supply of cocaine at street level over a period of two-and-a-half years and Shamas Iqbal admitted the same charge over a period of 13 months as well as possessing criminal cash.

Recorder Douglas Jones QC was told how the Romanian family included an 11-year-old girl and a boy of 15. One bag of cocaine was found in the wardrobe of the boy.

Drug addict who asked judge to send him to prison

A heroin addict who drove a stolen car through the narrow streets of Middleton at high speed to try to evade police has been jailed at his own request so he can go into rehab.

Homeless Steven Riley, 44, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to driving the car which had been stolen two years previously and which bore false number plates with his own fingerprints on them.

Recorder Douglas Jones QC, at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court sitting at Stockport magistrates’ Court, was shown clips of police chasing Tiley in the Hyundai car on January 15 through narrow streets where the were speed humps and the limit was 30mph.

In places, Riley was doing 55mph in a ‘plainly residential area’.

Eventually, he drove the car over a grass verge and Riley bailed out before being found crouching behind another vehicle on High Street in Middleton.

David Farley prosecuting said Riley had 27 convictions and had committed 93 similar offences.

Riley was charged with aggravated vehicle taking, handling stolen goods (namely a car) and failing to surrender to bail.

Recorder Jones sentenced him to six months and four weeks prison.

Man and woman jailed after ‘defenceless’ baby suffered serious brain injury and fractured ribs

Ryan Briody and Rebecca Stott

A man and a woman have been jailed after a ‘defenceless’ baby suffered a serious brain injury and fractured ribs during at least two ‘shaking’ incidents.

Ryan Briody, 35, and Rebecca Stott, 29, were found guilty of two counts of causing or allowing the serious physical harm of a child following a trial at Minshull Street Crown Court.

Both defendants, originally from Oldham but now of Ward Avenue, Nottingham, continue to deny they were responsible for the injuries but are unable to explain how they happened, the court heard.

The victim, a boy less than a year old, was taken to the A&E department at Royal Oldham Hospital in August 2018.

A police investigation was launched and examinations revealed the boy had suffered injuries including fractured ribs, some of which were at least 10 days old, the court heard.

Briody and Stott were arrested and charged and both denied causing or allowing the injuries, the court heard.

However after hearing evidence over a two-day trial, a jury agreed with prosecutors that only the two defendants could have caused or allowed the injuries to have occurred.

Neither Briody or Stott had any previous convictions and both pleaded with the court to be allowed to walk free.

The boy recovered but while experts cannot be sure of the long-term prognosis, the court heard he has shown signs of slow development and is at risk of epilepsy.

Judge Maurice Green sentenced both Briody and Stott to 27 months in prison.

Teenager who killed takeaway owner with his own car

A takeaway owner was run over and killed by his own car as tried to stop a teenage boy from stealing it.

A 15-year-old boy has been jailed for four years and nine months, after admitting the shocking killing of 53-year-old Mohammed Islam in Romiley, Stockport.

Mr Islam, an ‘influential and inspiring father and husband’ who owned the Marple Spice restaurant, had decided to make a delivery before he finished work, as it was on his way home.

The boy, who pleaded guilty to manslaughter, was part of a gang of thieves who had been out looking for a car to steal.

They came across Mr Islam who was driving his ‘cherished’ Mercedes C-Class, which his children had bought him for his 25th wedding anniversary.

As he went to the door of a house on Lyme Grove in Romiley to deliver a takeaway, the boy got in his Mercedes.

Mr Islam ran back to the car and held onto it, in a desperate attempt to stop him.

A resident said they saw the boy speed off ‘at the sort of speed I have seen on Top Gear when they completely floor it’.

Mr Islam held on for about 30 metres, but he was then thrown into the road. He hit his head on the ground and was then run over by his own car.

The M.E.N. applied for reporting restrictions to be lifted so the teenage killer could be identified, but a judge said his identity being revealed could have ‘adverse consequences as far as his future is concerned’.

Covid-masked burglar who robbed widow using a hammer

Gavin Banks

Two covid-masked burglars robbed an elderly widow using a hammer.

Gavin Banks, 44, and Thomas Kilburn, 23, broke into the woman’s home whilst she was asleep, smashing the glass in her back door.

As the woman fled to the en-suite in her bedroom they came into her bedroom, armed with a hammer, Minshull Street Crown Court heard.

Banks, a neighbour of the woman, then demanded: “where’s the money” and she proceeded to hand over £800 which she had been saving up for work doing on the house.

They both then left the house – leaving a trail of footprints in the snow from the back garden to the house next door.

The woman, whose husband had died just two years earlier, was left frozen with fear.

Both Banks, of Chadderton, Oldham, and Kilburn, pleaded guilty to an offence of aggravated burglary.

Banks was jailed for seven years and six months, and Kilburn will be sentenced at a later date.

Convicted rapist who dragged woman into bushes while she was waiting for bus

Omar Alam was sentenced to life imprisonment

A convicted rapist who dragged a lone woman into some bushes whilst she waited for the bus has been jailed for life.

Omar Alam, 50, was spotted by the victim as she waited at a bus stop on Palatine Road, Withington.

The woman noticed him staring at her as he walked towards her which made her feel ‘nervous and uneasy’, Manchester Crown Court was told.

As she looked away she felt an arm come around her shoulder and neck before she was dragged with force into some nearby bushes.

Alam, of Oldham, told her: “It’s OK, you’re coming with me”.

The force of his grip was such that she was breathless and struggled to fight back.

The terrifying incident only came to an end when a passing car beeped their horn and shouted: “Get off her”.

The woman, who previously worked for the NHS, has since suffered panic attacks and has had to leave her job due to the stress from the attack.

Alam was convicted following a trial of kidnap and kidnap with intent to commit a sexual offence.

He also pleaded guilty to possession with intent to supply Class A drugs and failing to notify of a change in circumstances whilst he was still subject to the Sex Offenders’ Register.

Alam, of Abbey Hills Road, was jailed for life with a minimum term of six years and 25 days in custody to serve before he is considered for parole.

Jealous thug who battered ex-girlfriend after accusing her of cheating on him

Thomas Hughes

A jealous thug battered his sleeping ex-girlfriend following a party after going through her phone and accusing her of cheating on him.

Thomas Hughes, 31, and his former partner were at the same party when she decided to go to bed as she was tired.

Shortly after, she woke to find him towering over her before he claimed she had been messaging another man, Manchester Crown Court heard.

Hughes, of Blackley, then grabbed her by the neck and began to repeatedly punch her to the face and body.

During the attack she pleaded with him to stop and he eventually allowed her to leave the house.

However, he tracked her down and pulled up alongside her demanding her to get in the car with him.

He then poured a bottle of water over her head and even said he would put her in a lock up.

The woman, who was 20 at the time, was left with a broken nose, fractured eye socket and had bruises over her face and body.

Hughes pleaded guilty to an offence of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm and was jailed for 20 months.

Man who raped sobbing, vulnerable woman three times

Gary Corcoran

A man convicted of raping the same vulnerable woman three times has been jailed for 10 years.

Gary Corcoran, 25, of Upper Brook Street, Rusholme, had been found guilty of three counts of rape, two of sexual assault, and another of causing a person to engage in sexual activity.

Joe Allman, prosecuting, told Judge Suzanne Goddard at the Manchester Crown Court sentencing hearing that Corcoran’s victim ‘suffered multiple health conditions’ and that he had taken steps to prevent his victim seeking assistance.

Corcoran had arranged to meet her, said Mr Allman, even though the conditions of his bail prevented him from doing so in 2019.

In one attack he told the sobbing woman to ‘be quiet and stay still’.

When she bit his hand, Corcoran, a father and the brother of a police officer, called her a ‘f***ing bitch’.

Sentencing him to 10 years in jail, and placing him on the sex offenders’ register, the judge said: “I consider you to be a dangerous offender towards women.”

For the latest news and more from the Manchester Evening News, sign up to our email updates here.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *