ATHENS, Ga. – After making their eleventh SEC Championship finals look, the No. 3 Florida Gators sweep the SEC after profitable each the common season and match titles with a 4-0 victory in opposition to the No. 10 Kentucky Wildcats on Sunday afternoon on the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
This win marks the sixth match title for Florida, whereas sophomore Ben Shelton grew to become the fifth Gator in program historical past to be named the Tournament MVP.
Florida (23-2) got here out sturdy once more in doubles play in opposition to the Wildcats (21-7), incomes their 18th consecutive doubles level. After offering the clinching doubles match yesterday in opposition to No. 5 Tennessee, the tandem of Nate Bonetto and Duarte Vale continued their profitable methods with a 6-3 victory over No. 55 Liam Draxl and Alexandre Leblanc at courtroom three, making it their first ranked doubles win of the season.
Clinching the group’s twentieth doubles level of the season was the No. 10-ranked duo of Sam Riffice and Ben Shelton at courtroom one. Taking on No. 75 Francois Musitelli and Millen Hurrion, the Gators duo solely allowed their opponents to win two video games for a 6-2 victory. They now have 15 complete doubles wins on the season with 9 coming in opposition to ranked groups.
Needing three singles wins to say the SEC Tournament title, the Gators put their foot on the gasoline and by no means let up, claiming 5 of the six first units.
First off the courtroom was No. 116 participant Josh Goodger, who pulled off a powerful straight-set win at courtroom six in opposition to JJ Mercer, 6-4, 6-1. With this victory, Goodger reached the 100 profession singles wins milestone and totals 17 singles wins on the 12 months.
No. 27 Riffice had one in all his greatest matches of the 12 months as he took on No. 16 Gabriel Diallo at courtroom two, profitable in two units by 6-3 scores. Riffice strikes to 18-5 on the twin season and 15-1 on the two place, whereas including his seventh ranked victory.
It was No. 1-ranked Shelton, who for the sixth time this 12 months, would clinch the match for the Gators. Taking on No. 8 Draxl on the one spot, Shelton had a tall job forward of him, however stepped up huge time. The Gainesville native defeated the Wildcat by a rating of 6-4, 7-5 for his thirtieth singles win and twentieth ranked victory of the season.
Florida strikes to 23-2 total and extends their win streak to 18 matches. The Gators are additionally 19-2 in opposition to ranked groups and have a powerful 9 wins over groups within the top-10. In addition, for the third time in Florida tennis historical past, the Gators gained each the common season and SEC Tournament in the identical 12 months (2000, 2005, 2022).
- Florida made its eleventh SEC Tournament ultimate look, profitable its sixth match title in program historical past and first since 2016.
- Florida gained the SEC Tournament championship in 1994, 2000, 2005, 2011, 2016 and 2022.
- Ben Shelton joins Jeff Morrison (2000), Ryan Sherry (2005), Alexandre Lacroix (2011) and Gordon Watson (2016) to win the SEC Tournament MVP award.
- Senior Duarte Vale was additionally named to the All-Tournament group.
- The Gators transfer to 2-0 in opposition to the Wildcats within the championships finals as Florida confronted Kentucky one different time in 2011, pulling out a 4-0 win in that match.
- Since 2000 when the SEC started awarding an everyday season title, Florida was the convention champions in each the common season and within the SEC Tournament three completely different instances: 2000, 2005 and 2022.
1. #1 Ben Shelton (UF) def. #8 Liam Draxl (UK), 6-4, 7-5
2. #27 Sam Riffice (UF) def. #16 Gabriel Diallo (UK), 6-3, 6-3
3. #87 Duarte Vale (UF) vs. #102 Millen Hurrion (UK), 6-2, 4-6, unfinished
4. #122 Andy Andrade (UF) vs. Francois Musitelli (UK), 6-7 (7-9), 4-2, unfinished
5. Mattias Siimar (UF) vs. #108 Joshua Lapadat (UK), 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
6. #116 Josh Goodger (UF) def. JJ Mercer (UK), 6-4, 6-1 Order of Finish: 6, 2, 1
1. #10 Sam Riffice/Ben Shelton (UF) def. #75 Francois Musitelli/Millen Hurrion (UK), 6-2
2. #37 Andy Andrade/Mattias Siimar (UF) vs. Gabriel Diallo/Joshua Lapadat (UK), 4-5, unfinished
3. Duarte Vale/Nate Bonetto (UF) def. Liam Draxl/Alexandre LeBlanc (UK), 6-3 Order of Finish: 3, 1
The Gators look to the NCAA Tournament Selection Show, which can happen on Monday, May 2 at 6 p.m.