BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (April 25, 2022) – Daniel Rodrigues of the South Carolina males’s tennis crew and Courtney Weber of the Gamecock volleyball squad have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of South Carolina.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been offered by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league’s high female and male scholar-athletes.
The Southeastern Conference will identify the 2022 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship in early May.
Highlights of South Carolina’s nominees embody:
DANIEL RODRIGUES, South Carolina, Men’s Tennis
- Three-time ITA Scholar-Athlete, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Three-time SEC Academic Honor Roll, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Co-winner of South Carolina’s Ernest Brooks Athlete of the Year Award, 2022
- ITA Carolina Region Rookie of the Year, 2019
- SEC All-Freshman Team, 2019
- Two-time First-Team All-SEC, 2019, 2020
- Two-time SEC All-Tournament Team, 2020, 2021
- 2021 NCAA Singles Runner-Up
- Became the primary participant in program historical past to be the No. 1 participant within the ITA nationwide rankings Tied for highest remaining rank in program historical past at No. 3 (2021) Became the tenth participant in program historical past to attain 100 profession singles wins
- Ended the 2022 twin match season on a 12-match singles win streak with all 12 wins over ranked opponents
- Four Time SEC Player of the Week through the 2022 twin season
COURTNEY WEBER, South Carolina, Volleyball
- Holds a 3.755 GPA in chemistry and can pursue a doctorate after graduating
- Current Student Athletic Advisory Board President and represents Carolina on the SEC stage in SAAC
- Recorded properly over 100 neighborhood service hours, most notably spending quite a few hours with most cancers sufferers on the Prisma Children’s Hospital
- She has over 300 profession assists on the volleyball court docket as a four-year member of the crew, serving to the Gamecocks attain the NCAA match in 2018, 2019 and 2021
- Following her indoor volleyball profession ending within the fall, Weber now has joined the seashore volleyball crew for the spring semester
The SEC gives the league’s female and male McWhorter Scholar-Athlete of the Year Post-Graduate Scholarship recipients with a $20,000 post-graduate scholarship. The 26 remaining female and male finalists for the award may even obtain a $10,000 post-graduate scholarship.
The award recipients are chosen by a committee of Faculty Athletics Representatives from the 14 SEC establishments and are introduced in May, in addition to honored by the league membership at SEC Spring Meetings in Destin, Fla.
Last 12 months’s McWhorter Award recipients have been Florida ladies’s swimming crew member Savanna Faulconer and Jon Bishop of the Texas A&M males’s monitor & discipline and cross nation crew.