After a one-week break following the inaugural Miami Grand Prix, Formula 1 turns its consideration to Barcelona for the Spanish Grand Prix. The new period of technical rules made its on-track debut on the Catalunya circuit again in February for the primary spherical of testing. With that benchmark, familiarity with the monitor, and its proximity to most groups’ house operations in Europe, no less than half the grid is predicted to deliver main updates this weekend.
The Miami GP was crammed with hype and spectacle however delivered the TV rankings that ESPN and people backing the American market had been hoping for. With an common viewership of two.6 million the 2022 Miami GP grew to become the highest-rated dwell F1 race in US tv historical past (and second all-time behind a 2002 tape-delayed Monaco GP on ABC).
On Wednesday, F1 introduced that they’d not be changing the canceled Sochi GP occasion in Russia, leaving the 2022 season with a well-balanced 22 race schedule. As the sequence shifts gears to Spain, it’ll be a packed weekend in Barcelona with Formula 2, Formula 3, and the W Series all operating in assist of F1. In this new period of price restrictions, can Ferrari land a significant improve to place them again on the prime of the rostrum or will Red Bull and Max Verstappen proceed their current domination?
Where Things Stand
Max Verstappen (85) maintained his report of profitable each race he has completed and in doing so has reduce Charles Leclerc’s (104) result in simply 19 factors. An extra 19 factors again finds Red Bull’s different driver Sergio Perez (66) adopted carefully by George Russell (59) and Carlos Sainz (53). Lewis Hamilton at the moment sits sixth with 36 factors.
In the Constructor standings, Ferrari’s early lead is almost gone due to Red Bull’s management on the final two circuits and Sainz’s unlucky run of outcomes previous to Miami. Ferrari has 157 in comparison with Red Bull’s 151, each effectively forward of the 8-time reigning Constructor Champions Mercedes who’re again in a distant third in the intervening time with 95 factors.
Built forward of the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, the Catalunya circuit has been house to the Spanish Grand Prix because the 1991 season. It’s the eighth location to carry the Spanish GP and was dominated by Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes within the final technology of F1 rules. Hamilton has received on the monitor a complete of six occasions, together with the final 5 in a row.
There are two DRS zones, together with a protracted entrance stretch, and 16 turns. With excessive, medium, and low-speed corners, plus two lengthy straights, the Barcelona circuit delivers fairly the problem but in addition gives a little bit of all the things for the assorted workforce setups. Formula 1 visited the monitor earlier this yr for the primary on-track assessments of the brand new automobile rules which can give everybody a transparent thought of their improvement progress. Expect temperatures within the 80s this weekend, which ought to present a good quantity of tire degradation. Pirelli is predicted to deliver their three hardest tire compounds in an try and stability this impact.
How To Watch
- Practice 1 – Friday 5/20 – 7:55 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Practice 2 – Friday 5/20 – 10:55 am – ESPNU/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Spanish GP Preview Show: Friday 5/20 – 2:00 pm – ESPN3/WatchESPN
- Practice 3 – Saturday 5/21 – 6:55 am – ESPNU/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Qualifying – Saturday 5/21 – 9:55 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Grand Prix Sunday (Pre-race Show) – Sunday 5/22 – 7:30 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Grand Prix Race – Sunday 5/22 – 8:55 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
For these with out cable seeking to watch the Spanish Grand Prix weekend, you possibly can subscribe to F1TV on to catch each race, qualifying, and follow session all through the 2022 season.
DraftKings Sportsbook is providing odds on the race. Thanks to his second straight win, and third up to now this season, Max Verstappen enters the Spanish Grand Prix because the clear favourite at -105. Charles Leclerc stays his closest competitor (+135) adopted by his Ferrari teammate Carlos Sainz who’s at +1400 to select up his first-ever F1 victory at his house monitor. Sergio Perez (+1600) and each of the Mercedes drivers (+3500) spherical out the highest six. The Cinderella story of Fernando Alonso choosing up his first F1 win since 2013 sits at +25,000
What to Watch For:
- Upgrades! Ferrari is predicted to deliver a number of upgrades, together with a brand new ground to enhance their porpoising subject. Red Bull is reportedly bringing a lighter automotive, whereas Alpine, Aston Martin, and Alfa Romeo are all planning a number of upgrades to their 2022 design which might result in a shuffle within the midfield.
- If the Ferrari upgrades can push them again in entrance of the Red Bull package deal, may Sunday deliver the first-ever F1 win for Carlos Sainz? In entrance of big house assist and seeking to erase misfortunes earlier this season, might Sainz pull off an upset and make this a three-way battle for the motive force’s title?
- Will Red Bull’s reliability points come up once more? In Miami, Verstappen had points limiting his follow time on Friday, whereas Perez noticed an power subject mid-race affect his means to problem Sainz for the rostrum.
- George Russell has been the one driver to complete within the prime 5 at every race this season. His consistency has been a vibrant spot for Mercedes who nonetheless struggled to maintain up with the highest two groups in Miami. If notably slower than the February check, may Mercedes revert again to their no-sidepod design?
- McLaren would like to rediscover their day one testing tempo from Barcelona again in February. The first have a look at the brand new 2022 vehicles noticed Lando Norris prime the charts by greater than half a second over the Ferraris and over a full second forward of each Mercedes and Red Bulls. That proved a false begin for McLaren after ending 14th and fifteenth to start out the season in Bahrain. Can a return to the Catalunya circuit assist them return to podium rivalry?
Before you permit be certain that to take a look at this week’s Grill the Grid the place the F1 drivers try and kind the sphere by peak in two minutes.